Sunday, November 21, 2010

My friend Drake Sparkman ...

I've just learned that my friend Drake Sparkman has passed away after a long fight with brain cancer.

Struck down during what appeared to be one of the happiest times of his life, this all seems particularly unfair.

Drake was unique, and I loved him for it. Universally, liked and respected, he was equally comfortable as the current Commodore of the American Yacht Club in his blue blazer and brenton red pants, as he was sailing to Hawaii in shorts and a hideously ugly Hawaiian shirt!

In our lifetimes, we are all lucky to find one or two really special friends. I've just lost one of mine....


----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Very well written, Jim. A real loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my grandparents Henry and Marion Girard knew Drake very well... i still have pictures from the 20's and 30's of them on his yachts !! he was a awesome person !!

    ReplyDelete