Thursday, August 16, 2012

Trekking in Chiang Mai

We signed up for a two day, one night trek through the hills around chiang Mai a couple days ago. Parts were very touristic and formulaic but others were great. The food we were given and the hikes we went on were great, we slept right next to the river and had a nice campfire at night where the guides let us try their local rice whiskey and cheroots which are big cigars wrapped in a banana leaf instead of a tobacco leaf. But the downside was that bamboo rafting felt like a Disneyland ride and the elephant ride was a pretty big letdown (the elephants looked miserable and when one of them started to lag behind they looped a rope with a metal hook on it around his ear so that if he was too slow the rope would get tight and push the hook into the back of his ear). So overall it wasn't spectacular like the trek I did in Indonesia but for $35 I guess you get what you pay for.

Tonight I head back to bangkok and then immediately head to Siem Reap in Cambodia to go wander through the ruins of Ankor Wat and who knows what else.

It's been exactly five weeks since I left the states and I only have one left till I return so I have to make it count. Its hard to believe that I have been gone for so long, it's gone by so fast

-Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment