Saturday, July 21, 2012

Kyoto, a shrine on every corner

Took the night bus to Kyoto last night and got in to Kyoto bright and early at 4am. After a quick nap in a cafe in order to wait for the subways to open I got to my hotel for tonight (it's a capsule hotel and looks like its straight out of 2001: a space odyssey) dropped off my backpack and headed out sight seeing. First we went to Kinkaku-ji, the golden temple. Then Ryoan-ji, who's famous rock garden is still being analyzed as to why it's fourteen? boulders are laid out in that particular method. Kiyumizudera temple next, and some great views of Tokyo. And I finished at the Fushimi-Inari shrine, which is basically a path up a small mountain completely covered with thousands and thousands or tori gates, each one no further than a couple inches from the last, forming a tunnel of shrines that you walk through. I was going to just do a quick run-through of Fushimi-Inari because I was already pretty worn out but there was a full on festival going on with food and drink stands, carnival games, kids running around in kimonos, and thousands of paper lanterns hung up everywhere. It was a great way to end the day. Tomorrow I'm planning on walking through the markets and older areas of Kyoto and basically just wander, and I'll let you know how the capsule thing goes (look up "9hrs kyoto" if you are curious)

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment