Monday, December 06, 2010

How this silly email thing works...

To those of you that send us emails (or more importantly reply to one of ours!), Deb sent this to her family last month. I think its worth sharing with a wider audience.

-Jim

Hello Brothers and Sisters!

Here is a quick primer on how Jim, my computer Geek of a husband, has set up our email accounts and addresses. If anyone of you has ever tried to turn on my TV, you'll know how complicated he can make things. But it is cool once he gets it all working.

So, Sailmail was developed by and for sailors (duhh) to keep in touch with loved ones and to download weather info while off shore. It takes the emails, "Bibbity-Bobbity-Boo's" them, sends them over the Ham/Single Side Band radio waves, then "Boo-Bobbity-Bibbity's" them back into emails to your computer. We get a generous daily "Key Count" of how much data we can send over the Air Waves, but it is limited. We download email wda7721 at sailmail.com at least twice a day, like 6am and 6pm, or more often if we are looking for something important. This is where you send short, important stuff, like, "Love You", or "Austin got an A", or "TMI in the blog, Deb..." When I send you stuff from wda7721, and you want to get back to me, DON"T hit "Reply". This sends all the stuff I already know as well as the new stuff and uses up part of our total "Key Count" for the day.

Also, Jim has set up our regular emails, deb at jdgregory.com, to send "Shadow Files" to wda7726 of anything set to them. The Shadow files tells us who it's from and the Subject line. I go through the shadow files and download the ones that look important, providing it's been a light day on the Key Count. So, if you put in a accurate title, like "Dosage info for Ita's UTI", I'll know to download it ASAP. I'll save the "fwd,fwd,fwd Why women live longer" ones until I get onto internet on land. Also realize, that it takes 2 downloads to actually get the info to me if you send it to deb@jgregory.com... once to download the shadowfile, then once to download the whole email.

And lastly, Jim has set up the blog to automatically send the comments you make to us, so we do get to see your comments.

So, that's the primer on email. I love you all. Please forward this as you see fit. Please x3 keep emailing me.

Love you all,

Deb

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment