Thursday, June 16, 2011

Morpheus holed in Newport on 1st Night!

From: Rob Moore []
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:59 PM
To: Jim Gregory
Subject: yikes

Sorry to read that "Mo_pheus" was attacked, but at least you ID'ed the perp.
Boy, if it's not one thing, it's another. Ironic that you incurred damage in
the most civilized place you've been on your whole journey.


[JDG: ] Well, we really were not attacked truth be told. It was the first
night on the mooring for any boat this year and when the storm blew through
our chain stretched out, but the six meter in front of me just sat there.
So...when the wind died and the current switched around we actually drifted
right down on top of her at a 90 degree angle. I had stayed on the boat to
make sure all was well while everyone else went off to a nice dinner at the
NYYC. But, with the storm over was below relaxing. Imagine my surprise
when we came together . I jumped up on the deck to find this beautiful six
meter impaled in the side of Morpheus. Unlike Etchells she had a stainless
steel plate covering her very pointy bow and she was fine. But, us not so
much! I do like Kevlar though, it kept things from being much worse. My
next problem was how to get the boat off Mo-pheus and find a way to slip off
the mooring without doing more damage to either boat! Pitch dark at 11pm
this was not so easy, but worked out. Then motored out into the anchorage
or what I guessed was the anchorage and dropped my anchor by myself. Yet,
another thing that I'd never done before!! In the end, I have to say I got
off easy. Thank god I stayed on the boat!!

Hope you can fix it in time for BIRW, but somehow that seems doubtful.
[JDG: ] Looks promising at this point if we can keep the rain away for
another day. 50/50.

When do you head over there -- Friday? Saturday?
[JDG: ] Plan to sail across on Sat.

... Did you get Tim to go?
[JDG: ] Did not work out.

Who is the tactician?
[JDG: ] Some guy named Andrew.

What is the final line-up?
[JDG: ] Jim Gregory
Debbie Gregory
Chris Gregory
Pat Gregory
Lyn Comfort
Peggy Comfort
Kim Comfort
Brian Comfort
Emily Comfort
Dan Hadley
Matt Coudert
Andrew Whittome
Guy Richter

Maybe you can update the blog so you don't have to answer all these dumb
questions!
[JDG: ] Good idea!!

PS -- Today is Hank's birthday. We're off to take him to lunch.
[JDG: ] Happy Birthday Hank!!!

1 comment:

  1. I kind of like the new name: "Mo' Pheus"

    It's her rap name.

    Only problem is that I am not sure what it means. You might go with the scientific acronym meaning:

    PHEUS - Pulsed-High-Energy-Ultra-Sound

    ReplyDelete