Monday, February 14, 2011

Interesting Night

Sailed all night in 18-25 knots of wind. If you have to do it, this is the easy way to go - downwind with the breeze. At about 3am the showers/squalls started much like they do on the way to Hawaii. At one point, the moon had set, it was blowing 33 knots, and dumping rain. No way to see anything on deck so, I went below, closed the hatch and monitored things from the Nav Station just praying that the auto pilot would not choose that moment to go out on us. The boat was fine - steady twelves riding the waves, no issues.

This morning I was woken up by Debbie shouting "Jim, Jim, there's a waterspout in front of us!!!" Right Deb, don't panic, it's just raining really hard!! "Does really hard rain go round and round in circles???" Well, no let me see. Holy (s*&^ that IS a waterspout, which way has it been going?? "I don't know." Damn. Well, I bet they can't go upwind, RIGHT TURN and grab my video camera!! (I will be posting a video of this small waterspout tomorrow!)

All's good. Rain off and on, but warm and winds forecast to calm as we get closer.

-Jim

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment