Sunday, April 28, 2013

Addendum to MW April 26 Ships Log - Regarding the Reavers reference


 When I finished that last blog post at 4:00 AM this morning I said this:

"I realized there was a high probability that Reavers had taken the ship and eaten the crew's brains. I kept Morpheus on a course that increased the distance between us to over 3 nautical miles. You don't want to mess with Reavers."

This morning, in the cold light of day - I am informed by my shipmates that no one understands that reference. Since I am cross-posting to Jim's blog as well as my own, I feel compelled to explain this cultural reference to the readers of Jim's blog, as I am confident the readers of my blog will understand it.

You see - there was an excellent but short-lived science fiction TV series entitled "Firefly" that recounted the space faring adventures of a crew of smugglers. In addition to dodging the totalitarian government forces, they also periodically had to deal with the "Reavers" an unfortunate humanoid byproduct of a failed government experiment to genetically improve the race. As always happens with this sort of experimentation, they instead created a race of zombies with a taste for human brains. Only in the show, the zombies are super strong and also fly spaceships.


Hence the reference to the "Firefly" crew we passed in the night. Which, BTW, Kim is convinced was a spaceship - as she was on watch and did not see them until they initiated evasive action to avoid the collision course we were on - OR - were in the process of initiating a boarding maneuver in the hope of eating our brains.

I hope this clears things up for the readers of Jim's blog. - mw

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment